Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Reflections

I have actively been in the Home Staging business for six months now. This may sound corny but I know soo much more now than I did back in January when I though all I had to do was send out a few notices and referrals would fly to me. Sorry kido it doesn't work like that unless your spouse is a Realtor or your Daddy owns a construction company. What I have learned is that most of the time I work at marketing what I work at. What a surprise! I sell my Home Staging services by meeting people, getting to know them, educating them and then hopefully gaining their trust that I will do a good job for them or their clients. Then maybe I get to do what I love - making people's homes look wonderful so that buyers will say "Yes, this is the one we want to buy".

Back in January, I didn't know what Social marketing was (I'm still on a steep learning curve here), I didn't know that there were so many networking groups, I didn't know that there were so many fantastic people out there slogging away just like me. Wow! It takes a lot changing careers at my age (I won't tell you), leaving a regular salary, benefits and pension - I must be crazy! I have eyed this growing profession of Home Staging for several years before finally deciding last year to make my move. I am a seasoned voyeur of real estate listings and open houses and model homes. I'm sure I've driven several agents around the bend with incessant house viewings only to back out at the 11th hour. Our last agent won't speak to us now. My interest in helping people, fascination with decor and design and real estate all marry nicely together with Home Staging. It's perfect!

Now what about the next six months? Some things have taken an interesting turn. What I thought would happen hasn't - but other opportunities have opened new doors. I'm excited about new prospects and have left any disappointments far behind. Yes, it's a good life and I'm looking forward to providing a wide range of Home Staging services to all who need them. I am confident, have many years of life experience behind me and yes, I am really good at what I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment