Monday, March 22, 2010

Contrary to popular opinion Home Stagers do not work for free! Rant # 3

I repeat, contrary to popular opinion, Home Stagers do not work for free!  However, if the principles of Home Staging are correctly applied, the cost of the service to the homeowner is often free when you consider the ROI of over 500% in many cases.  This is different!  The Home Stager though, is paid for their services; be it consultation with suggestions/recommendations for upgrades or the actual show casing to present that lifestyle image that will attract the buyers.  In efforts to be sensitive and to keep costs low for the homeowner, I have recently submitted several proposals for show casing that I typically don't charge for.  In presenting the proposals to the homeowners, I took my time (time=money) to explain the plan for show casing.  The homeowners were very impressed and excited with what I had proposed and suggested.  Considerable time and effort go into the research and creative design of these proposals so that my clients get the best possible result.  So I do get a bit worked up later when the homeowners come back with "Thanks for your input and help.  Your ideas are great.  We think we'll take it from here after all"  or  "We can't possibly pay you that, but we will use your ideas anyways to prepare our half million dollar home for sale".  Maybe it's just sour grapes on my part, but I can't help feeling cheated.  I've learned my lesson though - There aren't any free lunches and I will be charging clients now for what I think I am worth and valued for!

No comments:

Post a Comment